Monday, May 21, 2012

Summer Reading & Movie List

Now that I'm officially done with grad school, I'm ready to spend the summer relaxing: hanging out with friends and family, helping make wedding crafts for my best friend Amanda's impending nuptials, celebrating said nuptials (along with her bachelorette partay!) with my best college friends, organizing and redecorating our summer abode (more on that later!), visiting another BFF in her new Louisiana digs, cruising with my high school bests while sipping on Sonic limeades, spending lazy weekends at the lake with my fabulous big sister and our hubbies, etc. And part of my relaxation will also include reading a ton of great books and seeing some awesome movies!

Since I'm a list lover, I figured I'd share what books and films I plan to enjoy this lovely summer. In no particular order, here are some of the books I'll be savoring:

The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht

{via}

I bought this book late last summer, but as usual I didn't have any time to read for pleasure during this past school year. I'm excited to read it, as I've heard good reviews!

Great House by Nicole Krauss

{via}

I loved Krauss' other book The History of Love, so I'm very excited to read another novel by her. I anticipate tears and held breath and lovely passages that I'll copy down in my notebook (because I don't like underlining or highlighting in my books!)

Started Early, Took My Dog 

by Kate Atkinson

{via}

I'm a big fan of Atkinson's Jackson Brodie series, which begins with Case Histories--Started Early, Took My Dog is the fourth book in the series. I'm also excited to watch the miniseries of the first book (which stars Lucius Malfoy from Harry Potter! haha) with my mother!

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

{via}

I've heard good things about this book, too--it's supposed to be a bit Hunger Games-esque. It'll likely be a quick, easy read. And if I like it, I can read the others in the trilogy! 

I'll likely read more books than that--at least I hope so!--so when I do, I'll share what titles I'm savoring next!

Now on to the movies I can't wait to see this summer:


The Dark Knight Rises



 {via}

 I'm not gonna lie, I'm kind of a scaredy cat, and the trailer for the next Batman with its creepy chanting prisoners really freaks me out. Still, I'm pumped to see the next movie. Comes out Friday, July 20.



The Amazing Spider-Man


 {via}

I still think it's a little funny that Hollywood is rebooting a franchise that's still fairly recent--then again, the Batman reboot certainly worked! And I love Emma Stone. I have high hopes. Comes out Tuesday, July 3.


Brave


 {via}

Disney/Pixar films are always amazing. Add to that the fact that it's set in Scotland--I'm part Scottish. It's my heritage. Plus I love me some butt-kicking empowered heroine! Comes out Friday, June 22.

Prometheus


 {via}


Just from the trailer I know that this movie will probably scare me. But it also looks awesome. I like  action/alien movies a lot. I bet my dad will want to see this! Comes out Friday, June 8.



Snow White and the Huntsman


 {via}


I was initially skeptical when I heard that two Snow White films were in development--but after seeing this trailer a few times, I was sold! It looks like a really cool spin on the traditional tale, in which Snow White & the Huntsman team up as sort of freedom fighters to end the Evil Queen's tyranny! Yay, more non-passive heroines! Comes out Friday, June 1.

What to Expect When You're Expecting


 {via}

I don't expect (har har) this film to be Oscar-worthy by any means, but I love a good ensemble rom-com! Came out Friday, May 18.


Rock of Ages

{via}


I love musicals, and I'm really curious about how well Tom Cruise can sing. Plus I loved Adam Shankman's Hairspray, so I'm hoping this will be just as good. Comes out Friday, June 15.



Men in Black III


{via}


I preferred the first MIB to the second (I mean, who didn't?), but I'd like to catch the third installment when it's in theatres, if only because I can remember seeing the first two in theatres as well. Comes out Friday, May 25.

What do you plan to read or watch this summer?





Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. You are going to be very busy this summer...No more sleeping late in the morning for you!

    Can't wait to see you! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love to get feedback from my readers, or hear a little more about them!

Pin It button on image hover